7.02.2007

Would you like Fry's with that iPhone?

When I said I was burned out on Friday night, that was an understatement. Pete, Dustin, and I technically got back to Katie's at 4:00am on Sunday morning. I had pretty much fallen asleep in the car, then stumbled blindly into the house and made straight for the couch. Dustin and I managed to get up sometime around 10:00 or 10:30am, but neither of us were truly awake. Some Katie-made bacon helped us a little bit, and then her father came around and offered to take us on a trip to the Apple Store to see the iPhone and then to Fry's electronics. Despite our haziness, Dustin and I gave no protest.

What can I say about the iPhone? It's incredibly spiffy. The multi-touch technology that Apple incorporates reminds me of a couple demo videos I once saw when the technology was still under development. And now, here, I had it in my hands for a good fifteen minutes. The GUI was smooth, as always with Apple, and it rotated based on the screen's orientation. Sometimes it got a little out of hand, however--the window would flip when you didn't want it to, or it wouldn't rotate when you wanted it. The touch keypad was a bit of a nuisance, but the backspace key was strategically located so corrections are quick and simple. Web browsing was a blast, especially scrolling with fingers and controlling magnification by either pinching or spreading your fingers. Flash was not yet enabled on the phone, but it might be soon. While I was having fun with the iPhone, Katie used the camera on another demo iPhone to snag a picture of me.

When we finished playing with the phones, we went across the parking lot to Fry's Electronics. Katie called it, "A toy store for adults," and how right she was. It had everything you could ever want from any electronics store, from computers and games to tools and component parts. Each store has a theme, as well--the one we went to in Manhattan beach was jungle themed. We danced around the aisles for a bit, taking in all the shiny objects. To pay me back for the EDC tickets, Dustin told me to find something in the store that was around the ticket price and he'd get it for me. I ended up getting a nice Motorola bluetooth headset and couldn't wait to play with it when we got back home. We grabbed a bite to eat at Weinerschnitzel, a hotdog-themed fast food restaurant with chili on everything, and then relaxed at the house for the rest of the day.

No comments: