7.06.2007

And the Defilers red glare, Big Shootahs everywhere

Happy 4th of July! We spent most of the day lazing around again--the sky was overcast for the first time since we arrived the week before. Katie's parents did get us up and going to Fry's for a sale and the potential for 25-cent hot dogs and soda. There was an Independence Day sale on SD cards and other lovely gadgets, but the hot dogs were MIA. We tried going to Costco to pick up some food for dinner, but the place was completely closed. Conceding defeat, Katie's father made some chimichangas, corn dogs, and pizza. I was kinda hoping for something a little more appropriate for the festivities, so when I found out Katie was going to Vons to pick up ice-cream, I tagged along. While we were out, Dustin, Charlie, and Zach started up a game of Warhammer 40k outside around the train set. Fireworks blasting in the distance echoed all over the valley, adding another dimension to the game--Dustin loved every minute of it. Katie and I got back with steak and Polish sausage and fired up the grill. As the coals warmed up, I ventured up to the roof, taking my DV camcorder with me in hopes of filming some of the fireworks. The camera turned on for a second and immediately died; the battery ran out somehow while it was still in the case (the switch was probably turned when shifting around). I paused to enjoy the view, then returned inside, cursing my camera.

The 40k game went on for quite awhile, stopping only for a moment when the steaks finished cooking. I brought my laptop out to play music while I cooked the meat, but I went ahead and left it on to add to the atmosphere. Katie and I chatted a little bit when Dustin and the guys went back to their game. We walked over every now and then to check on their progress--Dustin's Tau were making Charlie's Orcs suffer, while Zach kept bombarding the Tau forces. We stayed up until around 1:00am, despite having to wake up at 4:00am for our flight out. However, I was still in no hurry to go to bed... it was nice just sitting around and enjoying the warm night air while celebratory explosions thumped in the distance. I wasn't quite ready to go home yet, but I have a feeling I'll definitely be returning to California some day.

No comments: