7.06.2007

Homeward bound

I couldn't sleep. I mean, I slept, but only for about 2-and-a-half hours. My cell phone said 3:30am, and my body refused to rest any longer. Since we were supposed to get up at 4:00am anyway, I stayed up and worked on my computer for a little bit. Katie's parents didn't come down to get us until 4:30am, and they were completely surprised to see me awake. I wandered around, checking if I had everything while Dustin and Katie were still getting up. They both kept falling back asleep, refusing to get up until necessary.

We finally managed to get up and out, taking some food with us for the flight. When we got to the airport at around 5:00am, there were long lines at the luggage checks and security stations. This was a large change from the seemingly barren airport we experienced when we flew in--though baggage claim areas are usually less-populated anyway. An announcement floated over the PA system, mentioning a security breach that called for tighter security procedures. The lines were long, but there wasn't much different when going through the metal detectors. We still got through security quickly, so when we lined up at our gate we had a good hour-and-a-half to kill. Dustin spread out on the floor with Katie and I watched some Paranoia Agent on my iPod.

We eventually boarded the plane, hoping that our forward position in the C-grouping would give us some advantage while picking seats. There were no three seats adjacent one-another, but I managed to get a seat right behind Dustin and Katie. I tried sleeping on the flight, but it proved immensely unsuccessful. Though I was incredibly tired, I could not get to sleep for more than an hour at a time. Giving up, I took out my iPod again and tried watching Flight of Dragons. When that ended I tried occupying myself looking at the magazines they had, only occasionally bugging Dustin and Katie. While flying over the Grand Canyon, Katie managed to get a great picture using the digital camera. I'm glad that I was awake for that.

I can't decide whether I was bored or if time went quickly. On final approach I noticed that Dustin and Katie were playing Solitaire on both of their computers. I whipped out my iPod and, with its last little bit of battery power, started playing Solitaire with the iPod between them. Katie chuckled and I tried playing a few games, but sooner than expected we arrived at BWI. Dustin's mom picked us up and took us back to College Park. Dustin spent the entire stay in California without his usual extra sweetened Lipton iced tea, so we went straight to McDonald's and he ordered a large cup of it, eagerly drinking it immediately. We got to the Grand House of Funk, thanked Dustin's mother, and I transfered my luggage to my car. I stepped in to say hi to the crew, and to say goodbye to Dustin and Katie. With that, I went back to my car and drove over to the Commons at UMD for a quick shower and pick up my passengers for the next journey.

1 comment:

KT421 said...

My expression in that first picture says quite clearly, "I will eat you."

That's what happens when you wake me up at 4am.