6.23.2007

"Basho" / He named himself, "Banana Tree"

When I first saw that episode of the Simpsons, I had no idea that Robert Pinsky was about Basho, or who Basho was. After taking an uncomfortable semester of Japanese literature,talking I finally understood the origins of the one called "Banana tree." Basho was a traveling poet, persistently seeking inspiration on long sojourns across Japan and writing as he went.

I originally started this blog just for the hell of it, referencing both Basho and Pinsky simply because it sounded cool and reminded me of the jocks hanging out at the coffee house in the Simpsons (Basho! Banana tree! *belly slam*) However, the more and more I drove for myself and for my friends, and especially with a big trip to California lingering just days away, I figured I might as well catalog my adventures. I'm no Matsuo Basho, nor am I Robert Pinsky. I'm just an attention whore that likes to wax poetic while wandering :3

No comments: